Labels

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Contributors

Navigation

20-year-old Simone Manuel becomes first black female swimmer to win Olympic gold


American swimmer, Simone Manuel, 20, has  made history by becoming the first black female swimmer to win an Olympic gold.


Manuel shared her gold medal with her 16-year-old opponent, Canada’s Penny Oleksiak as they both tied  at 52.70secs in the women’s 100m freestyle final .

Simone Manuel who is also a Stanford University student broke down in tears of joy when she found out she won.

She said:

“I’m just so blessed to have a gold medal.

This medal is not just for me. It’s for a whole bunch of people who came before me and have been an inspiration to me… It’s for all the people after me who believe they can’t do it and I just want to be an inspiration to others that you can do it.

The title ‘black swimmer’ makes it seem like I’m not supposed to be able to win a gold medal or break records.

That’s not true. I work just as hard as everybody else and I love the sport.”

It means a lot to me, especially what’s going on in the world today and some of the issues with police brutality.

This win helps bring hope and change to some of the issues that are going on in the world.





We would love to hear your opinion on this post in the comment section BELOW. And, do share this post on your favourite social networking sites.
Share

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

DISCLAIMER

All thoughts and opinions expressed by Sandra Duru's Blog readers are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinion of Sandra Duru.