Labels

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Contributors

Navigation

Wheelchair bound couple shocked by name on receipt


A South Florida couple confined to wheelchairs were called a name on their receipt after ordering food from a local food truck, 

The couple on the receipt was identified simply as "chair."

"I have a disability called Spinal Muscular Atrophy," said Lorinda Gonzalez who has a form of muscular dystrophy and has been in a chair since she was 6 years old.

Israel was born with spina bifida and has been wheelchair-bound all his life.

As adults and married, they live very independent lives.

"I think the misconception is that people with disability keep taking from society. They have this idea that if you are a person in a wheelchair, you're dependent on the system and you don't work and you stay at home and that's not necessarily true," said Lorinda.

The couple owns a business writing grants for non-profits, travels and lives what they say are fulfilling lives, but it was during the simple act of ordering food that they were reminded that sometimes all people see is their wheelchairs.

"He slides over the receipt and I look at it. I said, 'are you serious? They put chair.' I couldn't believe it. I was shocked," said Lorinda.

The woman who took their order identified them only as "chair." Lorinda took a picture of the receipt and posted it on Facebook. The outrage followed.



"The disability community, they believe it. This is the type of stuff we deal with all the time. At the same time, it's upsetting. Why do they define us as just a chair instead of a person," said Lorinda 

"I'm not one to really get offended. Our order was fine and our food was delicious, but I think it's a good opportunity to educate people that someone in a chair isn't just a chair. There is more to that person than the chair," said Israel.

"That's what they put was chair. I know they were asking people's names because the gentleman before us, his name was Carlos. I heard it. They asked for his name... they didn't ask for our name but I didn't think about it," said Lorinda. "I was just surprised at the ignorance. That's how you define us? Chair."

Share

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

DISCLAIMER

All thoughts and opinions expressed by Sandra Duru's Blog readers are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinion of Sandra Duru.