Labels

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Contributors

Navigation

How being sentenced to prison while heavily pregnant changed Mariam Mosa's life


27-year-old Mariam Mola was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment in HMP Holloway while heavily pregnant with her first child.


Mariam said the man she was in a relationship with at the time got her roped into some fraud, but she never thought she would be sentenced to jail. Infact she turned up at the sentencing in a Reiss jumpsuit and newly-jelled nails and was shocked when the judge said she was going to jail.

Describing her experience, Mariam said:
‘As soon as I got to prison, things got real. I had never connected with my baby when I was in the community, so only when I got to prison I was like, Oh my gosh I’m going to have a baby here. There is always mean people in prison but I had so much favour. Me and my daughter were born three days apart so they had a birthday party for me at the hospital. It was a good experience.’

Mariam is now using her experience to teach other women and has now set up her own organisation, Mentor Matcher, to help women  get back on their feet and rebuild their lives.

‘Probably the most intelligent women I’ve met were in prison but they just don’t have a chance and while you’re in prison, you’re already being signed up to go on benefits, go into that kind of environment but there’s no help when you leave.’






We would love to hear your opinion on this post in the comment section BELOW. And do share this post on your favourite social networking sites.
Share

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

DISCLAIMER

All thoughts and opinions expressed by Sandra Duru's Blog readers are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinion of Sandra Duru.