Labels

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Contributors

Navigation

Chelsea Handler defends Playboy Op-Ed about having two abortions after receiving criticism over tone of article


Chelsea Handler revealed a vulnerable moment from her teenage years in a Playboy editorial published on Monday, in which she shares that she had two abortions at the age of 16. 


Although Handler, 41, has spoken candidly about the incidents for some time now, many readers perceived her as speaking too flippantly about such a significant issue, as she wrote, "I'm grateful that I came to my senses and was able to get an abortion legally," and "I don't ever look back and think, God, I wish I'd had that baby." 



On Tuesday, the television personality took to Twitter to set the record straight about the personal essay that landed her in hot water. 

"When I agreed to write an article on a woman's right to choose, I certainly wasn't bragging," she tweeted. "I chose to tell the truth. #shouldbemoreofit." 

Handler's statement received mixed reviews on Twitter as some of her followers commented support, while others continued to criticize the Chelsea host for her decisions. 

The personal essay was included in the magazine's "Freedom Issue," which was fitting, as Handler credited her ability to get a legal and safe abortion to Roe v. Wade. 

Handler also addressed the efforts to overturn the 1973 ruling, calling them "infuriating," as she asserts, "I don't buy that roe v. Wade was in danger. 

"Once you go forward in history, you don't go backward. That would be like the government saying, 'Okay, we’re taking away your right to vote too." She said. "You can't introduce a black person and be like, 'Oh, I just got a slave!' That era is over."
Share

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

DISCLAIMER

All thoughts and opinions expressed by Sandra Duru's Blog readers are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinion of Sandra Duru.